Wednesday 22 July 2015

Iowa City Sculpture

I was in Iowa City the last week of June for my husband's family reunion.  Downtown Iowa is a beautiful city, pedestrian friendly, and has a lot of public sculpture to enjoy. This bronze sculpture by Jane DeDecker suits its environs perfectly -- most often when I passed it there were children playing in its vicinity. 


Another bronze sculpture, Jazz, is by Gary Alsum. I think the vibrancy of jazz is well caught in this work.


There are quite a few abstract sculptures in the pedestrian zone too.


I particularly like this wiry tornado. (Oops forgot to record the accrediting plaques for these works.)


I was too busy looking at the map depicted and reading the pirate-like inscription to realise at first that this was a book.


A few steps had my understanding sorted out. I like the idea that you could be sitting on a bench reading under the silent stare of a giant book.


Outside the pedestrian zone, I came across this series of sculptures inlaid into the footpath. 


It's difficult to tell, but the grey arcs are sentences - letters depressed into the footpath.


 I am not sure if the author is a well-known Iowa poet, but by the language it is not a modern poem.


I like this bronze depiction of sheet music and that the artist is using an aural art form visually.


I was unable to find the credits, so I don't know if the bronze pieces are done by the same artist who did the arc lettering, or indeed if all the pieces are done by separate individuals in collaboration. In any case, they were all delightful to come across!


Most events for the reunion took place at the Grant Wood historic home, owned by my husband's uncle. In 2005 my husband, James Hayes was commissioned to create the bronze sculpture, entitled Ball, for the fountain in the upper garden.








No comments:

Post a Comment